Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Cucumber Salad with a Twist



 So recently in my adventures with Pinterest I ran into a recipe called Fire and Ice Salad that looked a lot like the Cucumber salad that I grew up loving at all my family reunions, but this one was different... It had sugar! I just had to try it! So the end verdict... I loved it! The one I grew up with had no sugar and sometimes the vinegar was just too much to handle, but I loved it so much I would still eat it. So I found that by putting the sugar in it, it actually took a little bit of the edge off the vinegar. While eating some though I got a thought, I should put some Apple Cider vinegar in it as well. So I turned to my husband and told him, and he took it another step forward. "You could put apples in it". At first I thought, no, but then I thought I'm going to do it. So I set some of the original aside in another container and added some apples and the apple cider vinegar and let it set for a couple of hours. My little family each tried a bite and LOVED it!! So now I just knew I had to take some to my big family (my dad, sisters, brother and their little families, we get together pretty much every weekend). Just as I expected they all loved it and had to have the recipe. So now with the success there I thought I would share this amazing salad with you.

Cucumber Salad with a Twist

2 Cucumbers
2 Tomatoes
1 Apple
1 Small Red Onion (More or less to your taste)
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Water
½ Cup White Vinegar
½ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar

Cut all veggies and fruit into small pieces and place them into your salad bowl. Now in another bowl mix the sugar, water, and vinegars and pour them over the salad. Let sit in the refrigerator to chill for at least 3 hours. But the longer you let it sit the more the flavor seeps in.


Original Fire and Ice Salad recipe can be found here...

No comments:

Post a Comment